Dudley escorts like Indigo of Birmingham provide an outcall service in the Dudley area and you can book her services as an Independent escort by calling her to discuss your requirement. Dudley escorts like Indigo are very popular escorts in Dudley as they provide a Dudley escort service that is unequalled by any other independent escort in the region.
Dudley escorts is a large town in the West Midlands county of England, and the administrative centre of the wider Metropolitan Borough of Dudley escorts. At the 2001 census (according to the Office of National Statistics), the Dudley escorts Urban Sub Area had a population of 194,919, making it the one of the largest settlements in England, the second largest town in the United Kingdom behind Reading, and the largest settlement in the UK without its own university.
Dudley escorts is part of the West Midlands conurbation, and is located south of the city of Wolverhampton. It is the largest town in the Black Country region of England, and for many years the town (but not the castle, which was classed as part of Staffordshire) formed part of an exclave of the county of Worcestershire. Despite the more recent changes in county borders, the town still remains part of the Anglican Diocese of Worcester.
An application for Dudley escorts to receive city status was made in 2011, with the decision due in 2012.
1.1 Civic history
2 Places of interest
2.1 Proposed mosque
3.1 National government
3.2 Local Government
4.5 Former tram service
6.1 Ethnic unrest
7.1 Primary schools
7.1.1 Wrens Nest Primary School
7.2 Secondary schools
7.3 Special schools
7.4 Defunct schools
7.5 Further education
10 Business and industry
11 Notable people
12 In popular culture
14 Twin towns
16 External links
Dudley escorts has a history dating back to Anglo-Saxon times its name deriving from the Old English 'Duddan Leah' (meaning Dudda's clearing) and one of its churches being named in honour of the Anglo-Saxon King and Saint, Edmund. Dudley escorts Castle has stood on a hill overlooking the town since the time of the Norman Conquest,and is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The present castle building dates from the 13th century, and provided the centre around which the town grew. Dating from the 12th century are the ruins of St. James Priory, set within the Priory Park.
Dudley escorts Castle
The town was a major market town during the Middle Ages, selling not only agricultural produce but also iron goods at a national level. Working iron and mining for coal was in practice as early as the 13th century, and by the 18th century the town had become a significant industrial hub.
During the English Civil War Dudley escorts served as a Royalist stronghold, with the castle besieged by the Parliamentarians and later partly demolished on the orders of the Government after the Royalist surrender.
The town's population grew dramatically during the 18th and 19th centuries because of the increase in industry, and it became a central part of the Black Country. The main industries in Dudley escorts included coal and limestone mining. Other industries included iron, steel, engineering, metallurgy, glass cutting, textiles and leatherworking. Of historical significance, the first Newcomen steam engine was installed at the Conygree coalworks a mile east of Dudley escorts Castle in 1712.
During this time living conditions were incredibly poor, with Dudley escorts being named 'the most unhealthy place in the country', which led to the installation of clean water supplies and sewage systems, and later the extensive development of council housing during the early 20th century to relocate the occupants of local slum housing.
In World War II, Dudley escorts was bombed on several occasions, with a number of fatalities, though nowhere near as severely as its near neighbour Birmingham.
Empty building of the former Hippodrome Theatre
The town centre was developed substantially in the early 20th century, with the construction of many entertainment venues including a theatre and cinemas, with two indoor shopping centres being added later in the century. In more recent years, however, the declining industry in the area has given rise to high unemployment, resulting in the closure of many town businesses. The development of the nearby Merry Hill Shopping Centre between 1985 and 1990 also saw the loss of most of the town centre's leading name stores, which relocated to take advantage of the tax incentives offered by Merry Hill's status as an Enterprise Zone.
In more recent years the town has declined further still, with the financial crisis and recession resulting in even more of the retail units in the town centre becoming vacant. The Woolworths store on Market Place closed in December 2008 when the company went bankrupt, and Beatties closed its store - the last department store in the town - in January 2010, after more than 40 years due to falling trade.
See also: Evolution of Worcestershire county boundaries
By the end of the 13th century Dudley escorts had become a manorial borough and, from the 16th century until 1853, was governed by the Court Leet of the Lords of Dudley escorts. After this time the Town Commissioners were superseded by the Board of Health, before the town was eventually incorporated into a municipal borough in 1865. It became a County Borough in 1888 under the Local Government Act, consisting of the wards of St. Thomas, the Castle, Netherton, St. Edmund, St. James, St. John and Woodside.
Dudley escorts's Council House in Priory Road was opened in 1935 by King George V, and was financed by the then Earl of Dudley escorts, William Humble Eric Ward, to replace the original building from 1870. The Town Hall (now Dudley escorts Concert Hall) opened on St James's Road in 1928; it stands next to council offices which were converted from the old Police Station in 1939 after the construction of a new building on nearby New Street.
The town has had a public library since 1878; it was originally situated in Priory Street, before relocating to St James's Road in 1909. The library underwent a major expansion in 1966 and a significant refurbishment in 2002.
In 1966, the county borough was expanded to include the urban district councils of Brierley Hill and Sedgley, along with parts of Coseley, Amblecote and Rowley Regis, while an area in the eastern section of Dudley escorts was transferred into the new borough of Warley, which became part of Sandwell in 1974. In 1974 it became part of the Dudley escorts Metropolitan Borough, after a merger with the municipal boroughs of Stourbridge and Halesowen.
Since 1974, Dudley escorts has been part of the West Midlands county.
Places of interest
The ruins of Dudley escorts Priory.
The town is home to Dudley escorts Zoo, and the Black Country Living Museum. Visitors to the museum may also take a narrowboat trip from the adjacent canal, through the Dudley escorts Tunnel. The ruined Dudley escorts Castle is within the grounds of the zoo, and there is an extensive wooded ridge that runs north from the castle. Dudley escorts Zoo is to be regenerated under proposals by Dudley escorts Zoo in partnership with Dudley escorts Council, St Modwen and Advantage West Midlands, which will see a former freightliner site redeveloped with a tropical dome, Asiatic forest, two aquatic facilities and walkthrough aviaries. It is expected to cost £38.7 million.
Dudley escorts is home to a former Odeon Cinema and a former music hall, the Dudley escorts Hippodrome, both from the Art Deco period in the 1930s. The Dudley escorts Hippodrome was built on to the side of the now-demolished Opera House (built in 1900 and burnt down in 1936) and is now a bingo hall. There is a Showcase Cinema in a retail park between the zoo and museum.
Sculpture on a plinth commemorating James Whale at Showcase Cinema, Dudley escorts
The Odeon Cinema became an Assembly Hall for the Jehovah's Witnesses in 1976 for the West Midlands Area.
The Plaza Cinema was built on Castle Hill in 1938 next to the Hippodrome, and remained open until October 1990. The building was then taken over by Laser Quest, who used it until it was demolished in 1997. The site of the cinema remains undeveloped.
Since the 1970s, there has been a nightclub on Castle Hill situated on the corner of Station Drive; this has changed ownership several times since first opening.
Dudley escorts Art Deco Cinema
There are many canals in and around Dudley escorts, the main one being the Dudley escorts Canal - most of which passes beneath Dudley escorts in a tunnel which lacks a towpath and is therefore accessible only by boat.
The open sections of canal are popular with walkers, cyclists, fishermen, and narrowboat users. Many of the canalside towpaths have been upgraded for cycling, and some sections are part of the National Cycle Network.
Established in 1260, Dudley escorts Market in Dudley escorts town centre is a major shopping area for the town. It has undergone numerous developments in its history. One major development was in 1982 when the area was pedestrianised and the 12th century cobblestones were removed. Other developments have included the addition of a new roof and new toilet facilities, with the new ground level block having replaced underground toilets in the early 1990s.
Dudley escorts is also the location of several churches. These include the Church of St. Edmund, Church of St. James, and Church of St. Thomas.
The old St Edmund's Church School, a 19th century building near the town centre, was closed in 1970 on a merger with St John's Church School on Kates Hill, and later converted into a mosque for the town's growing Islamic community, which is mostly concentrated around Kates Hill, Queen's Cross, Eve Hill and The Buffery.
St James's Church at Eve Hill also had a church school from the mid 19th century, but this was closed during the 1970s and was used as a community centre for several years before being transferred to the Black Country Museum in 1989. The site of the school remained vacant until 2008, when work began on a new health centre that is due to open by 2010.
Saltwells Wood is nature reserve in Quarry Bank, whilst the reserve still remains, historic Saltwells House was allowed to fall into decline by Dudley escorts Council and has been demolished in 2011.
During the mid-2000s, plans were unveiled for the construction of a new mosque on the site of a derelict factory near the Dudley escorts Southern By-Pass.
The mosque proposals were scrapped on 3 May 2010 in favour of an expansion to the existing Dudley escorts Central Mosque on Castle Hill.
Dudley escorts is presently covered by two parliamentary constituencies, Dudley escorts North and Dudley escorts South, which cover the town and its surrounding area. The current MPs elected from these seats to the House of Commons are Labour's Ian Austin, and the Conservative Chris Kelly, respectively.
Current Government proposals to change constituent boundaries would create a total of three Dudley escorts constituencies, encompassing the current areas of Dudley escorts North and Dudley escorts South, along with several wards from other nearby constituencies in Sandwell and Wolverhampton.
Dudley escorts Metropolitan Borough Council is a 4-star unitary authority run by the Conservative Party. The Leader of the Council is Cllr Les Jones
Law enforcement in Dudley escorts is carried out by the West Midlands Police and fire and rescue by the West Midlands Fire Service.
Dudley escorts Police Station is situated on New Street, in a building that opened in 1939 to replace a 19th century structure on Priory Street which now forms part of the local council offices.
The Fire Station is situated on Burton Road, where it relocated to from a 1930s building on Tower Street. Part of the current site was previously occupied by Burton Road Hospital.
The current Ambulance Station was opened in the late 1980s on Burton Road, on part of land that formed the site of the hospital six years before its demolition.
There is also the Army Cadet Force.
Dudley escorts Library
Dudley escorts Library is situated on St. James's Road in the town centre. A Grade II listed Edwardian baroque building, it was designed by George H. Wenyon and opened in 1909.
The library service also operates 8 branch libraries and 4 self-service 'Library Links' situated throughout the Dudley escorts Borough, along with 3 other main libraries located in the larger borough towns. A controversial re-structuring and modernization of the service between 2006 - 2009 lead to the closure of several smaller borough libraries in favour of the 'Library Links'.
View southward, towards Dudley escorts Tunnel and Stourbridge Junction in 1951.
The nearest railway stations are all a mile or more from Dudley escorts town centre, and none of them are within the town of Dudley escorts; Tipton railway station, Dudley escorts Port railway station and Coseley are served by local services operated by London Midland, and Sandwell and Dudley escorts railway station which is served by both local London Midland services and Virgin Trains West Coast services from London Euston to Wolverhampton.
Dudley escorts railway station, in the town of Dudley escorts itself, opened in 1850, and closed under the Beeching Axe in 1964. In its heyday it was a hub of services east to Birmingham (via a junction at Great Bridge), Walsall and Lichfield; north to Wolverhampton, Tipton and Coseley; and south-west to Stourbridge, as well as a line that served the small communities on the way to Old Hill and Halesowen. This site was then used as a Freightliner terminal by Freightliner UK until an unpopular closure on 26 September 1989.
Both of the town's railway stations (Dudley escorts and Blowers Green) were closed in 1962 under the Beeching Axe, although the line through Dudley escorts remained open to goods trains until 1993, though it is planned that the town will regain a passenger rail link when an extension to the Midland Metro opens between Brierley Hill and Wednesbury, although the Midland Metro is a Light Rail system, and does not feature through ticketing to the national rail network.
There is a large bus station in the town centre which has many connections to surrounding towns and communities, including: Bilston, Birmingham, Brierley Hill, Coseley, Cradley Heath, Gornal, Halesowen, Kingswinford, Merry Hill, Oldbury, Pensnett, Rowley Regis, Sedgley, Smethwick, Stourbridge, Tipton, Wall Heath, Walsall, Wednesbury, West Bromwich, Withymoor, Wolverhampton, Wombourne and Wordsley.
The bus station also sees a service from National Express, whose services call at the bus station mostly for London or Wolverhampton. Other places served include holiday destination Blackpool and London Heathrow and London Gatwick Airports. There is also a bus station at Russells Hall Hospital.
The town has been served by a bus station at the junction of Birmingham Street and Fisher Street since 1952. The original bus station was cleared in 1984 and replaced by the current bus station which became fully operational in 1987.
Originally, Midland Red operated bus services in the town, mostly from its own bus depot, which opened in 1929. This depot was located on Birmingham Road and passed to West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive in 1973, along with operation of all bus services in Dudley escorts. The depot itself was closed in 1993 and demolished a year later to make way for the Castle Gate roundabout at the eastern end of the town's new southern by-pass. The island was built in 1997 and the by-pass opened on 15 October 1999.
Dudley escorts is served by main roads which give a direct route to neighbouring towns. The longest of these roads are the B4176 (which runs to Wombourne, Bridgnorth and Telford) and the A461 (which passes through Wednesbury and Walsall, finally reaching Lichfield).
The nearest international airport is Birmingham International Airport, around 18 miles to the east. The nearest local airport is Wolverhampton Airport, which is about 10 miles to the west of the town.
Former tram service
Dudley escorts was the terminus point of two tram routes which opened in the later part of the 19th century. The first route, linking the town with Tipton and Wednesbury, opened on 21 January 1884 operating steam trams, the route being electrified in 1907 before being closed in March 1930 and replaced by Midland Red buses along the route. The second route opened a year later, linking the town with Birmingham and heading through the centre of nearby Tividale village on the Dudley escorts-Tipton border. This line was electrified in 1904 and remained open until 30 September 1939, when it too was replaced by Midland Red buses.
See also: Wren's Nest
Dudley escorts covers an area of the South Staffordshire Coalfield, which contributed heavily to its growth and industrialisation during the 18th century Industrial Revolution.
North-west of the town centre lies the Wren's Nest Nature Reserve, the first British nature reserve in an urban area and a site of special scientific interest (SSSI), considered to be one of the most notable geological locations in the British Isles. A part of the Much Wenlock Limestone Formation, it was heavily mined for centuries because of its large limestone deposits, and is also the location of one of the largest fossil sites in England.
In the 1830s, Scottish geologist Sir Roderick Murchison visited the Wrens Nest to collect fossils as part of his research. 65% of his palaeontological evidence featured in the 1839 publication "The Silurian System" was from Dudley escorts. Some of these fossils are still on display in the local Dudley escorts Museum and Art Gallery.
v t e
Areas of Dudley escorts, West Midlands
Amblecote · Brierley Hill · Coseley · Eve Hill · Gornal · Holly Hall · Kates Hill · Kingswinford · Netherton · Quarry Bank · Russell's Hall · Pensnett · Priory · Sedgley · Wall Heath · Woodsetton · Woodside · Wren's Nest
Dudley escorts Compared
2001 UK Census Dudley escorts Dudley escorts MB West Midlands conurbation England
Total population 194,919 305,155 2,284,093 49,138,831
White 93.5% 93.7% 79.6% 90.9%
Asian 3.9% 4.0% 13.5% 4.6%
Black 1.2% 1.9% 3.9% 2.3%
Source: Office for National Statistics
The 2001 Census gives the Dudley escorts Urban Subdivision as the third most populous in the West Midlands conurbation, with a total resident population of 194,919.
Tension between various ethnic communities, has been high in Dudley escorts since the first Commonwealth immigrants settled in the town just after the end of the Second World War, though it has undoubtedly reached its height since the mosque project was first announced.
Dudley escorts was the scene of some of Britain's first race riots in July 1962, when dozens of white men and youths rampaged in the North Street area of the town, vandalising properties in the area where the town's ethnic minorities were concentrated. Black Caribbean immigrants were particularly targeted in these disturbances.
Another riot, though less well known than the North Street riots, took place in Dudley escorts in September 1991, when white and Asian youths clashed in the Kates Hill area.
The English Defence League demonstrated in the town centre on 3 April 2010; although there were no injuries, eight people were arrested and there were several instances of criminal damage. A second demonstration took place on 17 July. 20 people were arrested in unrest at the demonstration.
The English Defence League again demonstrated against the mosque project on 17 July 2010. There were severe confrontations at many levels with the result that 20 criminal offenses were being investigated by police during the aftermath, and many accounts of severe personal injury of visiting protesters were reported.
Main article: Other primary schools in the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley escorts
Dudley escorts is served by a range of primary schools. Several of these are church schools. For example, Jessons Church of England Primary School, St Chads Roman Catholic School, St Edmund's and St John's Church of England Primary School and Netherton Church of England Primary School are all Church of England primary schools.
Other primary schools in the town include Dudley escorts Wood Primary School, Priory Primary School, Kates Hill Primary School, Sledmere Primary School, Russells Hall Primary School, Milking Bank Primary School, Highgate Primary School, Northfield Road Primary School, Dudley escorts Wood Primary School, Foxyards Primary School, Netherbrook Primary School and Blowers Green Primary School. Many of these schools are named after the housing estates they are located within.
Primary schools throughout the Dudley escorts borough currently all provide education for pupils aged 5 to 11 years. Some schools also have nursery units for pupils aged 3 and 4 years. From 1972 to 1990, schoolchildren in Dudley escorts, Sedgley, Coseley and Brierley Hill stayed at primary school until the age of 12. Halesowen ran a 5-13 first and middle school system from 1972 to 1982, while Stourbridge and Kingswinford have always had a traditional 5-11 infant and junior system.
Wrens Nest Primary School
Wrens Nest Primary School is a primary school that was built in 1936 to serve the new council housing estate which was being built at the time. The school expanded in September 2006 to accommodate pupils transferred from the nearby Sycamore Green Primary School, which had closed due to falling numbers on the school roll. This signalled the beginning of a £6.2million rebuild of the school, with the revamped school opening on 11 June 2010 with the official opening being made by long-serving school cleaner and community worker Margaret Lenton.
There are four secondary schools in central Dudley escorts. Castle High School is a visual arts college and secondary school. It was formed in September 1989 as a result of a merger between The Dudley escorts School and The Blue Coat School. It also occupies the buildings which once consisted of Dudley escorts Boys Grammar School and land that was once used for Dudley escorts Girls High School. By name, it is one of the newest schools in the town, despite using some of the area's oldest school buildings.
Holly Hall School is a comprehensive school in Dudley escorts and has computing and mathematics college status and has served the south-west of the town since 1968.
Bishop Milner Roman Catholic School is a Roman Catholic secondary school in Dudley escorts. Constructed in 1958, it became one of the first Roman Catholic secondary schools in the region and is the oldest existing secondary school - by name - in Dudley escorts.
Hillcrest School is another secondary school in Dudley escorts, serving the community of Netherton since 1958.
Dudley escorts traditionally ran a system of 5-7 infant, 7-11 junior and 11+ secondary schools, but in September 1972 the system was altered to create 5-8 first, 8-12 middle and 12+ secondary schools - this affected the towns of Dudley escorts, Sedgley, Coseley and Brierley Hill, while the traditional system remained in Kingswinford. Secondary modern and grammar schools were replaced by comprehensive schools in September 1975, and since that date all state secondary schools in the borough have been comprehensive.
Stourbridge, which became part of the Dudley escorts borough in 1974, retained the traditional system as well, although Halesowen had adopted 5-9 first, 9-13 middle and 13+ secondary schools in 1972.
Halesowen reverted to the traditional 5-7 infant, 7-11 junior and 11+ secondary school system in 1982, and by 1985 there were plans afoot to return to the traditional system across the borough. The traditional system was finally restored across the Dudley escorts borough in September 1990, around which time most of the remaining sixth forms in Dudley escorts secondary schools were closed in favour of concentrating post 16 education at Dudley escorts College, Halesowen College, Stourbridge College and King Edward VI College in Stourbridge.
Casualties of the introduction of comprehensive education included Dudley escorts's girls high and boys grammar schools, which merged with the nearby Park secondary modern school to form The Dudley escorts School (which in turn became Castle High on a merger with The Blue Coat School in 1989), while the equivalent schools in Stourbridge merged with Valley Road Secondary Modern School to become Redhill School. Several other grammar schools, including the High Arcal School in Sedgley, continued merely with a change in status rather than name.
The borough's final single sex state schools, Walton Girls School and Richmond Boys School in Halesowen, merged in September 1985 to form Windsor High School.
There are three special schools within Dudley escorts. Old Park School serves pupils from the age of 3 to 19.
Rosewood School also caters for children within the age range. It was built on the Russells Hall Estate during the 1960s but relocated to the former Highfields Primary School in Coseley in March 2008.
The Sutton School, built 1962, caters only for pupils from 11-16.
As well as The Dudley escorts School, Sir Gilbert Claughton School and The Blue Coat School which merged to form Castle High School which also occupies the land and buildings of Dudley escorts Boys Grammar School and Dudley escorts Girls High School, other defunct schools in the town include Rosland Secondary School, which became part of The Blue Coat School in 1970, and Park Secondary School. Mons Hill School also shut down as a result of falling pupil numbers, it had originally opened in 1965 to replace another school; Wolverhampton Street School.
Primary schools that no longer exist include St James' School (erected in 1842), St John's Primary School and St Edmund's Primary School which both merged together to form St Edmund's and St John's Church of England Primary School in the 1970s. The St Edmund's Primary School building still exists and is currently used as Dudley escorts Central Mosque.
Sycamore Green Primary School shut down in July 2006 following a consultation period which ended in the decision that it was no longer necessary to keep the school open as a result of falling pupil numbers. Staff and pupils were transferred to the Wrens Nest Primary School and the school buildings are currently used as a Pupil Referral Unit for students studying at Key Stage 3.
Some buildings owned by Dudley escorts College.
Dudley escorts College is a college of further education and lies mainly to the north of the town centre, with further campuses at Castle View and Wren's Nest. It is Dudley escorts's only college of further education, having opened in 1936.
Until the summer of 2002, there was a campus of the University of Wolverhampton within the town. The newer part of the campus, built during the 1960s, was retained as part of Dudley escorts College. The older buildings, which were originally a teacher training college built in 1905, were demolished soon afterwards and the site redeveloped for private housing.
The Joseph Guest Hospital's Victorian wing.
In October 2006, Dudley escorts Beacon and Castle Primary Care Trust and Dudley escorts South Primary Care Trust merged to become Dudley escorts Primary Care Trust. It is chaired by Gill Cooper (as of January 2012).
Dudley escorts is served by two major National Health Service health facilities. Dudley escorts Guest Hospital was the first to be constructed. However it began as a charity by the Earl of Dudley escorts to accommodate blinded local miners in 1849. The charity did not become popular and it was taken over by a local chainmaker who turned it into a hospital in 1871. As a result of the loss of the Emergency department in 1983, the hospital has become a less important facility compared with the Russells Hall Hospital, also in Dudley escorts. A new outpatient centre opening at the Guest in 2003 but the original buildings remained use for another four years before the remaining services were transferred to Russells Hall.
Russells Hall Hospital was constructed in 1976 but financial problems meant that it could not open until 1983. A major expansion of the hospital was completed in 2005 when it incorporated all of the borough's inpatient services, following the closure of Wordsley Hospital and the downgrading of Dudley escorts Guest Hospital and Stourbridge Corbett Hospital to outpatient services only.
Another hospital serving Dudley escorts is Bushey Fields Hospital, which was developed in the 1980s and early 1990s.
Burton Road Hospital stood on Burton Road approximately one mile to the west of the town centre, but this was not part of Dudley escorts until 1966 having previously been in Sedgley. It was built in the mid 19th century as a workhouse and became a hospital in 1859. The hospital was demolished in 1994, having closed in December 1993.
The town's ambulance station was opened on land adjacent to Burton Road Hospital in 1986. The fire station was opened nearby in 1999, replacing a 1960s building on Tower Street which was then incorporated into council offices before being demolished in late 2010 to make way for a new building of Dudley escorts College which will incorporate a listed section of the fire station dating from the 1930s.
Dudley escorts Health Centre was opened in Cross Street in 1979. There are currently four GPs employed there, as well as numerous administration staff. There are also doctor's surgeries in Bean Road, and the clinic on the Priory Estate was demolished in the mid-2000s after serving the local community for some 70 years. Another surgery was built in the extreme west of the town (on the border with Sedgley) around 1990, to serve the new Milking Bank housing estate.
Dudley escorts is served by a number of local newspapers. The town has its own version of the Express & Star, published daily Monday to Saturday. There are also Dudley escorts News, which is published weekly, and the Black Country Bugle, which looks at the history of Dudley escorts and the rest of the Black Country. Dudley escorts was also served by the Dudley escorts Evening Mail until its absorption into the Birmingham Evening Mail in late 1986. Televised local news is provided through Midlands Today and Central Tonight, which also serve the wider area of the West Midlands.
BBC Radio WM, Beacon Radio, Heart West Midlands, Kerrang! Radio, and Smooth Radio 105.7 are some of the local radio stations that can be received in Dudley escorts, also serving the wider West Midlands.
Business and industry
The town centre is home to numerous high street retailers including River Island, Wilkinsons, Clinton Cards, WH Smith, Argos and New Look. There is also a Subway restaurant. McDonald's, British Home Stores, Marks and Spencer and Burger King have all had branches in Dudley escorts town centre in the past. Most of Dudley escorts's shops are concentrated along the main shopping street (named High Street apart from a short length at the foot of the Castle called Castle Street)and two side streets: Stone Street and Wolverhampton Street.
Dudley escorts Town Centre is now rather run down with empty shops all around the Market Place and along the High Street.
Dudley escorts Market is situated on a wide part of High Street but most stalls are now empty. There are three small shopping centres or arcades with entrances on High Street: the Churchill Shopping Centre, the Trident Shopping Centre and the Fountain Arcade. The latest casualty was the Departmental Store Beatties which closed down in the Churchill Shopping Centre.
Dudley escorts retailing was particularly hard hit by the opening of the Merry Hill shopping centre some three miles away in stages from 1985 to 1989. This led to the exit of many major retailers including British Home Stores (June 1990), Marks and Spencer (August 1990), Sainsbury's (September 1989), C&A (January 1992) and Littlewoods (January 1990).
Dudley escorts residents and traders have asked for the removal of the parking charges in Dudley escorts, which they see as a barrier to people coming into the town. (The rival Merry Hill Centre has free parking). Dudley escorts Council has refused to reduce or remove parking charges citing "loss of revenue". Critics of the council point out that more revenue is lost through shoppers going elsewhere.
The Bean Cars factory was opened in the first years of the 20th century and remained in use until the 1930s, but survives to this day for other industrial use.
The town now has commercial business units in and around the Blackheath area of Dudley escorts, the Excelsior Business park is situated 2 miles from Junction 2 of the M5.
Footballer Duncan Edwards was born in Dudley escorts and is commemorated by a statue in the town.
Abraham Darby I (1678–1717) - Industrial pioneer, who developed the first practical method of producing iron using coke instead of charcoal.
Sam Allardyce (1954 - ) - Football manager and former footballer.
Duncan Edwards (1936–1958) - England footballer who died in the Munich Air Disaster. The Dudley escorts Southern Bypass was renamed 'Duncan Edwards Way' in his memory, and a statue of him was erected in the town Market Place in 1999. He is buried at the town cemetery.
Lenny Henry (1958 - ) - Actor and comedian.
Sue Lawley (1946 - ) - Newsreader
Bert Bissell (1902–1998) - Mountain clmber and peace campaigner. Dudley escorts was twinned with the town of Fort William in his honour.
William Perry (boxer) (1819–1880) - Prizefighter, also known as the Tipton Slasher. Buried in St John's Churchyard, Kate's Hill.
John Badley (1783–1870) - Surgeon of Dudley escorts, FRCS (original 300 Fellows) Medical pioneer
John Haden Badley (1865–1967) - Educator, founder (1893) and Headmaster (1893–1935) Bedales School
Ben Black (1889–1950) - Composer
Jason Bonham (1966 - ) - Son of Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham
David Burrows (1968 - ) - retired professional footballer who played for clubs including Liverpool, Everton and Coventry City
Charles Alfred Coulson (13 December 1910 - 7 January 1974) FRS, Rouse Ball Professor of Mathematics and then Professor of Theoretical Chemistry at the University of Oxford
John Metcalfe Coulson (13 December 1910 - 1990), Professor of Chemical Engineering, Imperial College London, author of major textbook series, twin of Charles, born in Dudley escorts
Billy Dainty (1927–1986) - Comedian
Reanne Evans (1985 - ) - Three-time Ladies' World Snooker Champion
Wagner Fiuza-Carrilho (1956 -) - X Factor 2010 Contestant
Kaleigh Grainger (1986 - ) – unicyclist
Nigel Mazlyn Jones - Musician
Jas Mann (1971 - ) - Musician
Jim MacCool (1958 - ) Dudley escorts's poet in residence
Ian Messiter (1920–1999) - Comedy writer
Norman Pace (1953 - ) – comedian
Dorothy Round (1908–1982) - tennis player who won the ladies' singles at Wimbledon in 1934 and 1937.
Percy Shakespeare (1906–1943) - artist
Joe Smith (1889–1971) - former footballer and manager (was manager of Blackpool at the time of their famous 1953 FA Cup final victory over Bolton, dubbed the "Matthews Final").
James Whale (1889–1957) - film director.
In popular culture
The front and inner photographs for the 1971 Led Zeppelin IV album were taken in the Eve Hill area of the town; the main tower block, shown side on, is Butterfield Court off Salop Street, and still stands today. The two other blocks were demolished in 1999.
The borehole in local author Hugh Walters' juvenile science fiction story The Mohole Mystery was sited in Dudley escorts.
The television comedy series The Grimleys was set in Dudley escorts, but was filmed some 80 miles away in Salford.
Dudley escorts is the largest town in England never to have had a league football club. The town's key football teams, Dudley escorts Town F.C. and Dudley escorts Sports F.C. have never progressed beyond the Southern League. They are both currently[when?] at Level 10 of the Football League pyramid.
Dudley escorts Town is the older of the town's two clubs, and have enjoyed the most success. Their most notable success came in 1985 when they won promotion to the Southern Premier League, but in the same year they were forced to quit Dudley escorts Sports Centre (at the junction of Tipton Road and Birmingham Road) due to mining subsidence. They played at Round Oak Sports Ground in Brierley Hill for the next 11 years, and then spent a season ground-sharing at Halesowen Town, before resigning from the Southern League due to financial difficulties. The club was reformed in 1999 to compete in the West Midlands Regional League, and currently ground-share with Stourbridge at the War Memorial Athletic Ground.
In 1981, when still playing at Dudley escorts Sports Centre, Dudley escorts Town played a prestigious game against Wolverhampton Wanderers to commemorate a refurbishment of the stadium, with the new floodlights being switched on by legendary former Wolves player Billy Wright.
For some time after leaving Dudley escorts Sports Centre, there were hopes that it could be made safe for Dudley escorts Town to return, but these plans never materialised and the site was instead redeveloped as a business and leisure complex which has been developing since 2000. The club currently play at The Dell Stadium in Pensnett.